Key Verse

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to thy word. Psalm 119:9

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Worldliness-Part 2

Music:

We all love music. Well, actually I take it back, almost everyone loves music, the rest just like to hate on us who do... :P

When I was in DC taking the Metro (subway thing) I noticed everyone had an iPhone, and 90% of people listened to music while in transit to work and home. Is music a bad thing? Of course not, if You think it is, read the Bible...
Music was created by God, and He enjoys it. We are told to sing a new song to the Lord and praise Him to the sound of musical instruments in the psalms.

What motivates us to like music the way we do? Is music entirely neutral? Why does music affect us so deeply? Does the music I listen to affect my thoughts or behaviors in any way? Does it say anything about my relationship with God? Most importantly are my music choices consistent with the gospel that has saved me?

Music effects our emotions in profound ways. The passions music draws out range from noble to base, from simple to complex, from God-glorifying to sensual. That's why music sells. It doesn't just sound good. If you are gonna go play basketball rap can get you pumped up, If you want to relax some Hillsong or Casting Crowns might be a good choice.

Music conveys content:

When you listen to music you also hear the words, believe it or not... If the words are not God glorifying (or at least neutral) find some other music. Generally a good indicator is the explicit tag... You can't just "ignore" the words, over time they will affect you. Listen to the song "slow fade" by casting crowns. It explains it fairly well.

When I listen to a song by someone I haven't listened to before I go look up the lyrics (if it's rap) so I can know what they are putting into my head.

To see how much you are dependent on music try going for a few days with out listening to any. It's probably nearly impossible for most people.

No comments: