Key Verse

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to thy word. Psalm 119:9

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Science

Science.

Science frustrates me, not because I don't like studying it, I do, but because it is misused so often to try to prove untrue things. The phrase "scientifically proven" drives me up the wall especially, first because its technically impossible to prove anything, and second I can actually "prove" that weight lifting makes you weaker using science, and that is obviously not true. I guess the thing that makes me so biased against science is it is twisted the most in the two areas that I spend the most time researching, studying, and debating: the origin of everything, and bodybuilding.

In the area of bodybuilding the hard thing is there isn't one "truth". Everything is subjective, there isn't one cookie cutter that everyone fits into to get the most results. But every week there are 22.7 new ideas about what gets the best results and what you HAVE to do to get ripped, and they all contradict each other. I'm pretty old school, you do what gets results. Forget about the exact science behind every single exercise, just work out hard, eat well, sleep lots, and be consistent and you will get in shape.

For apologetics and the origin of life things are less complicated. There is only one truth and our job is just to find it. Therefore saying that "science" has "proved" something is not only incorrect but also quite prideful, because no one was there, even their fancy "dating" methods are just like telling the time a candle has been burning by the amount left, with no idea how long it was at the beginning. I prefer logic and reasoning (two other horribly misused words) to find the origin of life. We have lots of facts, so we need to find a theory that best fits the facts. I am convinced that Christianity gives the best explanation for the facts. In fact it works so well that the more information I find, the better the theory works. I have actually won every single debate I've conducted in the last four months without much of a fight whatsoever. Every atheist you debate will use science as their biggest "proof" so if you can discredit science the battle becomes a cake walk. When you are right, both sides figure out pretty quickly.

So basically, next time someone tries to hook you on a new product or a new idea that has been "proven with science" spit in their eye!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

Rachel said...

While I agree that the misuse of science is abundant, I also think that science is an amazing gift of God that can be used to glorify Him. Science really isn't what frustrates you, it's the misuse of science. =)

On another note, great game yesterday! =D and did you happen to notice that I put my bangs up? XD

Unknown said...

yeah, thats true, misused science is like well misusing science! xD

Thanks! I didn't, but I remember now! hahaha