Key Verse

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to thy word. Psalm 119:9

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Principle Thing

The Principle Thing

Ok let's face it. Logic and reason are good but there is something better: wisdom.

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:15, 16 ESV)

Wisdom is ALL OVER in the scriptures. READ IT. It goes from Job to the Song of Solomon.

If we live by open doors and green lights we will never get anywhere. We must have wisdom to discern for ourselves what is the path to choose and not just go with the path of least resistance.

There is basically two types of wisdom:
1) That which is from man.
2) That which is from God.

These OFTEN CONFLICT. Obviously the wisdom of God is always gonna be right and because we are often wrong then they are not always gonna go hand in hand.

Wisdom is NOT: What you THINK.
Wisdom is NOT: What YOU think.
Wisdom IS discerning truth.
Foolishness is inventing truth.

Wisdom requires the same thing as a building:
Fortifica/Foundati
Basically that means that you need both a foundation and fortifications. But they must be in their proper place.

A Theory of Wisdom:
-Wisdom starts with worldview
-Wisdom is the consistent outworking of (a) belief (b) action (c) discernment from worldview.

Basically it means wisdom is deciding what to believe and what not to believe.

Three times in the Bible (Proverbs 1:7,9:10, Psalm 111:10) it says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I don't know a whole lot but I do know that when the Bible says something three times it means that it is REALLY important.

So what does it mean to fear God?
1. Establish the right relationship with Him.
2. See the world as he sees it, through His eyes.

Let's look at two examples of people who took different ways in life, one is man's wisdom and the other is God's wisdom. Watch how it turns out:

1. Path of Pleasure
Man: Solomon

And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 2:10, 11 ESV)

It doesn't make you happy. It leaves you with the feeling that you accomplished nothing.

This is man's wisdom: Avoid pain, pursue pleasure.

2. Path of Pain.
Man: Job

Then Job answered the Lord and said: "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. 'Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you make it known to me.' I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:1-6 ESV)

You go to any public school, raise your hand in class, and tell the teacher that you despise yourself and repent in dust and ashes and you will probably be sent to counseling...

The truth is pain teaches a lesson.
The lesson: the inscrutability of God's ways and our need to glorify Him regardless.

God's wisdom:
Believe truth (the Bible), do good.

Clearly the second option looks foolish but in factuality it is the wise one. Does this mean that you should seek suffering and try to fail? No! It will come soon enough, just read 1 Peter 3:14b-17. It just means that you shouldn't try to avoid pain and pursue pleasure with all you've got.

No comments: